Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What the Puck Happened?

Ok, I was having Yankee withdrawal on Saturday. With no game since Wednesday, I needed a fix. Unfortunately, that night's game was a 7:00 start time. Now, to convince my husband to abandon our original plans and go out to watch the game.

Knowing he is a sucker for good pizza, we headed to Regina's in Allston. As the former Sports Depot, I knew that there would be an abundance of large flat screens and the Yanks/Orioles' game would be showing on at least one of them.

So, let me take you there.

Scene: Pizzeria Regina

Me: Hi. There's two of us and I would like to watch the Yankees's game. It's on 631 on Directv.

Pizza Hostess: No problem. Just tell your server and she'll change the channel by your table.

(We are seated.)

Pizza Waitress: Do you know what you'd like to drink?

Me: Yes, a Stella Artois and can you please put on channel 631?

Waitress: Sure. It will bs right on.

AND THEN...

The Yankees show up on our table-side TV, and eventually on EVERY TV in the ENTIRE restaurant.

Instead of Game 5 of the Bruins/Canadiens Playoff game, Derek Jeter was on every screen grounding into a double play.

Derek Jeter, that hated Yankee here in Red Sox Nation, had usurped the beloved Bruins.

I cannot repeat the angry words of my fellow patrons, but they were not very pretty.

The bartender tried to difuse the situation by yelling "April Fools!"

Due to a Directv glitch, they were unable to broadcast multiple programs simultaneously. And quickly, every TV was changed back to this all-important playoff game. I asked my waitress to not tell a soul that it was me that was responsible. I didn't want to be tar-and-feathered before I had a chance to eat my pizza.

1 comment: