Tuesday, March 15, 2011

To HD or not to HD, that is the Question

I've owned a mega-TV for a few years, one of the HDTV kind. The problem is I am a DirecTV customer (and a procrastinator). I have put off calling DirecTV to order and have installed a special HDTV satellite dish.

Why? Mostly because I hate waiting, I'm just not very good at it.

And so every spring, right around the time when every sports fanatic feels like he/she is a cat on catnip, I say that this is going to be "the year."

And this spring, I am saying the same thing. Because I want to see it all up close like I've never seen it before.

I want to see the sweat pouring off UConn's phenom point guard, Kemba Walker's face. I want to see just how much "smuts" that Jim Calhoun has stuck in the corners of his mouth after forty minutes of chronic gum chewing.

More than anything, I want to see the pink plumpness of Alex Rodriguez' lips and the wide gap between CC Sabathia's two front teeth.

And while it would be nice to finally figure out all of the words and images tattooed on AJ Burnett's arms, that would mean that he is pitching. Which is something that I definitely do not
want to see, especially in High Definition. Much more painful to watch.

On second thought, I think I really don't need HDTV this spring. At least, not yet.

1 comment:

  1. I think my major qualm with HD programming is that they want me to pay for ~800 channels, and only about ~150 of them are in HD, and of those there are only about ~15 that I actually ever watch. I actually gave up cable a couple years ago because of this.

    Now I just have my TV hooked up to my laptop via a HDMI cable, and I can stream nearly everything I want to watch directly to the big-screen while I surf around on the laptop. I can even get rugby games this way that Comcast, RCN, and DishNetwork don't even carry. If you've got an HDMI port on your computer, give this a shot.

    ReplyDelete